There are a few different methods you can try to brighten dingy white clothes and linens:
- Use a whitening detergent: Specialized whitening detergents are formulated to help brighten and whiten clothes. These detergents may be more effective at removing stains and brightening whites than regular detergents.
- Add a whitening booster: You can add a whitening booster, such as oxygen bleach or lemon juice, to your laundry to help brighten whites.
- Use hot water: Washing whites in hot water can help to remove stains and brighten the fabric. Just be sure to follow the care instructions on the garment, as some fabrics may be sensitive to hot water.
- Hang clothes and linens in the sun: Sunlight can help to naturally brighten and whiten clothes. If possible, hang your whites outside in the sun for a few hours to help brighten them up.
- Try a vinegar soak: Soaking whites in a solution of equal parts water and white vinegar for about an hour before washing can help to remove stains and brighten the fabric. Just be sure to rinse the clothes thoroughly after the soak to remove any vinegar residue.
It’s important to note that while these methods can help to brighten whites, they may not be able to completely restore severely dingy or yellowed garments. In these cases, it may be necessary to use a specialized whitening product or have the garment professionally cleaned.